Computer forensics or digital forensics is a time period in computer science to obtain authorized evidence found in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can discover what occurred to the digital media corresponding to emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In lots of case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime may happened and how we are able to shield ourselves against it next time.
Some reasons why we need to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To assemble evidences in order that it may be used in court to solve legal cases. 2. To analyze our network energy, and to fill the safety gap with patches and fixes. 3. To recuperate deleted information or any recordsdata within the event of hardware or software program failure
In computer forensics, the most important issues that should be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The unique proof must not be altered in anyways, and to do conduct the process, forensic investigator must make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a little by little copy of the original storage medium and exact copy of the unique media. The difference between a bit-stream image and normal copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack house in the storage. You’ll not find any slack house information on a duplicate media.
2. All forensic processes should follow the authorized laws in corresponding country where the crimes happened. Each nation has totally different regulation suit in IT field. Some take IT guidelines very seriously, for example: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can only be performed after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would normally trying at the timeline of how the crimes occurred in timely manner. With that, we will produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes might happened. In an enormous firm, it’s steered to create a Digital Forensic Group or First Responder Staff, in order that the company could nonetheless preserve the proof till the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response rules are: 1. Certainly not should anybody, excluding Forensic Analyst, to make any attempts to get well information from any computer system or device that holds digital information. 2. Any try and retrieve the data by individual stated in number 1, divorce law needs to be avoided as it could compromise the integrity of the proof, wherein turned inadmissible in authorized court.
Based mostly on that rules, it has already explained the essential roles of getting a First Responder Team in a company. The unqualified individual can solely safe the perimeter so that no one can contact the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This may be carried out by taking photograph of the crime scene. They’ll additionally make notes in regards to the scene and who had been present at that time.
Steps should be taken when a digital crimes occurred in knowledgeable way: 1. Safe the crime scene till the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for the search warrant from local authorities or firm’s management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take an image of the crime scene in case of if there isn’t a any photos has been taken.
4. If the computer continues to be powered on, do not turned off the computer. As a substitute, used a forensic tools such as Helix to get some information that can solely be discovered when the computer is still powered on, comparable to knowledge on RAM, and registries. Such tools has it is particular operate as not to write anything back to the system so the integrity stay intake.
5. Once all live evidence is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All of the evidences must be documented, in which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody preserve information on the proof, akin to: who has the evidence for the final time.
7. Securing the proof must be accompanied by legal officer similar to police as a formality.
8. Back in the lab, Forensic Analyst take the evidence to create bit-stream image, as original evidence must not be used. Usually, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. Of course Chain of Custody still used on this state of affairs to maintain information of the evidence.
9. Hash of the original evidence and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that authentic proof and the bit-stream image is the precise copy. So any alteration on the bit image will end in different hash, which makes the evidences discovered develop into inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst starts to seek out evidence in the bit-stream image by fastidiously looking at the corresponding location is dependent upon what sort of crime has happened. For instance: Temporary Internet Recordsdata, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.
1960 total views, 1 today