Computer forensics or digital forensics is a term in computer science to obtain authorized proof present in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can discover what occurred to the digital media corresponding to emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In lots of case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime may happened and how we can defend ourselves towards it subsequent time.
Some the explanation why we need to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To collect evidences in order that it can be used in court to unravel authorized cases. 2. To investigate our network energy, and to fill the security hole with patches and fixes. 3. To recover deleted recordsdata or any files in the event of hardware or software failure
In computer forensics, the most important issues that must be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The original proof should not be altered in in any case, and to do conduct the process, forensic investigator must make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a little by little copy of the original storage medium and actual copy of the original media. The distinction between a bit-stream image and normal copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack space in the storage. You will not discover any slack area data on a copy media.
2. All forensic processes should follow the authorized legal guidelines in corresponding nation the place the crimes happened. Each nation has different legislation suit in IT field. Some take IT guidelines very significantly, for instance: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can solely be conducted after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would normally wanting at the timeline of how the crimes happened in well timed manner. With that, we will produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes could happened. In a giant company, it’s recommended to create a Digital Forensic Team or First Responder Workforce, in order that the corporate could still protect the evidence till the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response guidelines are: 1. Certainly not should anyone, aside from Forensic Analyst, to make any makes an attempt to recuperate data from any computer system or device that holds digital evidence information. 2. Any attempt to retrieve the data by person stated in number 1, should be avoided because it might compromise the integrity of the proof, during which turned inadmissible in legal court.
Based on that rules, it has already explained the important roles of getting a First Responder Workforce in a company. The unqualified person can solely secure the perimeter so that no one can touch the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This may be done by taking picture of the crime scene. They’ll also make notes about the scene and who have been present at that time.
Steps should be taken when a digital crimes occurred in knowledgeable method: 1. Secure the crime scene until the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for the search warrant from local authorities or firm’s management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take a picture of the crime scene in case of if there isn’t a any photographs has been taken.
4. If the computer is still powered on, do not turned off the computer. As an alternative, used a forensic instruments similar to Helix to get some data that may only be found when the computer is still powered on, reminiscent of knowledge on RAM, and registries. Such tools has it’s particular function as to not write anything back to the system so the integrity keep intake.
5. Once all live evidence is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All the evidences have to be documented, through which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody hold information on the proof, comparable to: who has the proof for the last time.
7. Securing the proof have to be accompanied by legal officer reminiscent of police as a formality.
8. Back within the lab, Forensic Analyst take the proof to create bit-stream image, as unique proof must not be used. Usually, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. After all Chain of Custody still used on this state of affairs to keep data of the evidence.
9. Hash of the original proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that unique evidence and the bit-stream image is the exact copy. So any alteration on the bit image will result in different hash, which makes the evidences found grow to be inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst begins to search out proof in the bit-stream image by rigorously looking at the corresponding location depends upon what kind of crime has happened. For instance: Non permanent Internet Files, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.
1079 total views, 3 today